Research- Domestic violence

Today we are researching an idea for our devising unit, I decided to research Domestic abuse:

Around 1 in 5 children have been exposed to domestic abuse.
A third of children witnessing domestic violence also experienced another form of abuse.
The definition of domestic violence in England and Wales was expanded in March 2013 to include victims aged 16 and 17 years old. It also now includes controlling behaviour and coercive behaviour.
1 in 5 teenagers have been physically abused by their boyfriends or girlfriends.
Children exposed to domestic violence are more likely to have behavioural and emotional problems.
SOURCE: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-abuse-and-neglect/domestic-abuse/domestic-abuse-facts-statistics/


This is made me realize that domestic abuse is more common than I actually thought. This made me think that I should do a piece where we can inform the audience about the problems of domestic abuse as I feel that not enough people know how often domestic abuse actually happens. I think it would be interesting if we can include a bit of physical theater into this issue, and maybe make the audience experience this abuse by using an Artone inspired piece.

I thought Radioactive from Rudimental would be a good song as it have a child like tune to it which would creep out the audience a little bit.

In the end we ended up with a small physical theater piece about a dad (me) of the family abusing his child and wife, we wanted to do this to show that domestic can become so serious that it can result in death. I'm looking forward to expand our idea and hopefully inform the audience of the seriousness of domestic abuse.

If we continue with this I would a motif in the movement piece which eventually stops or deteriorates to show that the relationship is breaking down.I would of also wanted people to say facts which I found through my research.

Here's the video:


No comments:

Post a Comment